Thursday, October 2, 2008

Taking a Running Jump Off the Wagon

So the first lunch wasn't bad, and actually dinner wasn't either. The beer was though.

I went to the Petite Abeille, a Tribeca Belgian restaurant with a great burger. Its a big burger, plenty of protein, ok. However, the bun is probably all the carbs you need after that, the fries take it further, and the beers skew this meal towards 80% carbs.

I actually started drinking at the office after-hours and was definitely feeling it after two beers, although that's not completely unusual when I'm not eating. I had four or five at the office, another three or four at the restaurant, half a beer tower (beer towers are 100 ounces of beer) at the Mudville and I think I split a pitcher at the Patriot.

It was a lot of fun and I'm glad to be back in the drinking game. Drinking is fun, and although sometimes I'll make real sacrifices to pursue some fitness or dietary goal, I doubt I'll ever want to live a life without alcohol.

I don't know how late I drank or what time I got home, but I slept like a rock until 10 AM, which comes in as "quite late" for getting to the office. I was definitely still a little drunk on waking and have been dealing with that off-balance feeling all day. I don't usually get anything resembling a hangover, but a high-volume drinking night and waking up drunk usually makes me feel kind of out of it, like I'm not fully strapped in on a roller coaster or something.

Other than that, I really haven't felt any adverse effects from the change in diet. My alcohol tolerance is down a bit, but I don't think its affected nearly as much as most of my friends predicted.

Now I'm off to start a weekend of non-stop drinking and meat eating at Notre Dame. Should be fun.

2 comments:

julieanne said...

you should be happy to have a lower tolerance right?
cheaper, less fat..

Adam Lehenbauer said...

I wish I ended up having lower tolerance. It actually seemed higher!