Friday, September 19, 2008

23 oz Grass-fed Porterhouse, Sauteed Onion and Asparaus, White Peaches

Although quite paleo, this meal probably wasn't close at all to zone. If I ever let loose a bit, its usually Friday night, so I let this one slide.

I didn't eat the whole steak, and a good bit of it was bone and fat, but it was quite a bit more than the five ounces of steak I'm suppsed to eat in one meal. I'd say at least twelve, maybe a pound (I shared some with a friend).

I pan fried it with a light rub of olive oil and a good amount of sea salt and pepper, nothing more. Oven for a few minutes to finish. I've not had a porterhouse in my modern steak-eating career, but I learned today that it contains by tenderloin and strip meat. This was helpful to know going in, the tenderloin was the tenderest piece of steak that I've ever cooked. The strip was very flavorful.

As for the grass-fed aspect, it definitely tasted different from the typical steak I get at the store. Its a very deeply rooted difference in the taste; I have to admit that it feels like you can taste the difference in the cows diet. I'd quite easily be able to distinguish grass-fed and grain-fed in a taste test.

That said, I'm definitely used to grain-fed beef. Probably all of my great stead experiences have been on grain-fed and its what I've come to expect from steaks. This steak was great, but that flavor was a little something I didn't expect. Nevertheless, I love the idea of grass-fed for lots of reasons beyond just taste; I'll definitely be buying more from Grazin' Angus. I'd wager that after three or four more steaks, I'll more fully appreciate the extraordinary qualities everyone else loves about this beef.

The rest of the meal was 1.5 large onions and a bunch of asparagus, sauteed to near liquid-stage in more than enough olive oil. Followed by the last two great white peaches from the green market. After that I got drowsy watching the Bourne Ultimatum. First paleo-induced food coma?

1 comment:

julieanne said...

last year all of my beef came from an amish family that raised their own cows and shot them when they got older. the meat tasted completely different, its so weird.