Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Meaning

I only realized a week before I planned to start the Sober September that September 1st was Labor Day. Although I didn't want to start out making shortcuts, I moved the start day back to the 2nd.

The way I see it, the beauty of September is that its free of tempting holidays (except for Labor Day apparently), the seasons change, kids go back to school and people are generally ready to start something anew with fresh energy.

Not that I was ever excited to go back to school, but when I was younger I always liked September at school because it was a chance to start fresh; it was a few good weeks before I fell behind in homework for the rest of the semester, never to catch up. There's something about not being behind in homework and being able to get everything done that's really refreshing. I had nothing to feel guilty about when I was caught up, no anxiety. And importantly, I didn't have to make crappy choices just to keep my head above water, like staying up late some nights or choosing one assignment to complete over another.

I realized today that that's what the Sober September will provide me this month. I won't have to choose between two different goals--between enjoying a cheat meal and pursuing my fitness and diet goals. Or between drinking and working out at full effort. Sure, passing up on those fun things will suck, but I'll get the rare luxury of having no inner conflict over those tough choices.

No comments: