Thursday, September 11, 2008

Salmon, Illegal Snow Peas Salad

No chicken, so salmon from Joe's. Unless they cook it in butter, its got to be paleo. And its damn good.

Salad of baby spinach, poblano pepper, raw broccoli, snow peas, carrot, almonds, pine nuts, flaxseed oil, lemon juice, pepper.

I finally got to the actual "what you can eat" chapter in the paleo book, and there are a few surprises. Snow peas are technically legumes, and are out. They might have some lectins, which is paleo's main complaint, but come on. I'm eating them raw, in shell. That can't be bad for your right? Lots of fiber?

I'll finish off this bag and not buy more I guess. Too bad because they're a great, cheap salad filler that tastes pretty good.

After reading SO MUCH about omega-3s, I had to pick up some more fish oil to shore up my omega-6:omega-3 ratio. Although the paleo book doesn't actually discuss fish oil much (if at all), it goes on and on about the importance of omega-3 fats and what foods are good sources of them. Flaxseed oil has a good ratio, so I'm using that for salad dressing, and possibly making "paleo mayonnaise" later.

Anyways, I've basically read enough about omega-3s to take them seriously, and will be taking a shot of fish oil twice daily going forward.

No comments: