Friday, September 26, 2008

End of Week 4

I'm finished with all the tough (meaning at-work) meals for week four, and only two more of those to do next week. This week was pretty good (until today), but the zoning fell apart a bit. Improv and zone can be challenging; I think it probably takes a lot of experience and knowledge of what constitutes a zone block to get good at it. From what I've read, it seems like a lot of the people who get great results out of the zone have a very regular diet--eating almost the same thing every day.

My typical complaint with this is that its too boring to eat the same thing all the time. I realized though that I've done just that for months at a time without trying to. My second complaint is that I figure your vitamin and mineral profile could get a little lopsided if you're eating from a small group of foods. This isn't the end of the world, and could probably be evened-out with a multi-vitamin, but its kind of contrary to the spirit of paleo and optimal health. It might not matter much for optimal performance, but for health and longevity I doubt its ideal.

I started getting into food blogs this week, which was really tough at the beginning, since most of the great things they show and write about are completely unaccessible for me right now. By today it was a lot easier; it seems that exercising willpower does make it stronger.

I also found time to weigh myself yesterday. I was 187 pre-workout and 185 post-workout, which is weird because I didn't really sweat at all in the workout. Anyways, this amounts to a 4 or 6 pound loss from the Thursday before Labor Day, which was exactly four weeks ago.

A 6 pound loss is about what I expected. I don't feel much lighter and definitely haven't noticed anything bodyweight being easier in workouts, though I think I definitely look leaner. Of course, its possible--and probably--that I put on some lean mass during this month too. I still need to calculate my body fat percentage, but I'm pretty happy with how my body's behaving and looking right now. Going forward I'd be happy to maintain this level of leanness, possibly even add a little fat without worrying about it. I think if I ever want to get really lean, I know exactly what I need to do (zone) and I know that I can do it. Now, my new passion is increasing strength and hopefully adding some mass.

No comments: