Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chicken Salad, Tomatillo,

Several pieces of the usual chicken I prepare in bulk for lunch at work and a huge salad that took me forty minutes to eat.

I've made this chicken for a few weeks, now. Its not totally amazing after sitting in the fridge for a bit, but it is really good straight off the stove. I cook about two pounds (raw weight) sliced into small strips and take it to the office for about a week's worth of lunch protein.

First I slice raw boneless chicken breasts into half-inch wide strips, then lay them all out on a plate and rub with some olive oil (not too much). Pre-paleo I threw on plenty of kosher salt and pepper, but now its tons of pepper and just a little salt. Throw these on a hot pan with a bit of oil and they cook up pretty quickly. I usually manage to cook all the chicken in under an hour on Sunday nights and take it to work on Monday.

The salad all comes from the paleo playground that is Whole Foods. In a large container, I lay a large base of greens, this week mescalin, sometimes arugula, baby spinach, or a combination. Then I throw in all the non-starchy vegetables I can fit sliced small enough to eat with a fork. I got a ton of supplies on Monday; today's salad included raw snow peas, cucumber, green squash, carrot and broccoli. I top with plenty of flaxseed oil, lemon juice, a handful of almonds and pine nuts and lots of pepper.

Its not the tastiest salad I've ever eaten, but its definitely decent enough to get through. Every week I try a few new vegetables to keep it interesting and to keep my sources of vitamins and minerals varied. I'd never had raw tomatillo before, so I picked on up yesterday. It was kind of good at first, but the acidic aftertaste reminded me way too much of vomit, so I had to throw it out.

No comments: