Monday, September 15, 2008

Turkey Bacon, Egg and Strawberries, Expensive Salmon and Salad

I'm definitely getting more disciplined about zone this week, but I didn't really prepare for it this weekend, so this morning wasn't too impressive.

3 strips turkey bacon ~ 3 blocks protein
1 egg = 1 block protein
1 'container' strawberries - hopefully about 4 blocks carbs?
fish oil and APA

Looking back, that might have been a bit light on the fat.

Lunch was much better. I bought a measuring cup for the office, which allows me to get precise on the carbs. Some things I was eating too little of, some too much.

~8 ounces of over-priced Whole Foods salmon = ~5 blocks protein

4 cups baby spinach = 1 block carb
1.25 cup green pepper = 1 block carb
1 cucumber = 1 block carb
.75 cups snow peas = 1 block carb
eyeball 2/3 cup raspberries = 1 block carb

some amount of flax oil, three almonds and maybe 10 pine nuts = hopefully 5 blocks fat

With meals like these, fat is the hardest to get straight. I should probably get a teaspoon or tablespoon to measure my flax oil. And while I'm still not actually at my ideal body fat percentage, I generally don't mind going a little over on fat.

Altogether, not a bad lunch. $22 per pound of salmon is excessive, so I've got to prepare some protein for this week. Also, the salad takes way too long to eat, I wonder if there's a way to get that down and keep with strict paleo foods.

Oh, and although snow peas are not strict paleo, they're fairly calorie dense (.75 cups = 1 block, although have you ever tried to measure .75 cups of snow peas? Their shape makes it impossible), and they're green and I imagine they have tons of fiber, so I'm sticking with them for now. I'll try to find a replacement when I have more time.

2 comments:

julieanne said...

you're really good at keeping up with this. i wish i would have brought back salmon for you. we couldn't hardly give it away this summer.

Adam Lehenbauer said...

Screw salmon, that's easy. What I want is some crab meat! Its impossible to get in the city apparently, and I'm jonesing for it. How does Joe's find such great crabmeat I want to know.