Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chili Scallops, Paleo Guacamole, Fried Apples

Big change of pace tonight. I tossed a half pound of greenmarket scallops with some olive oil, chili pepper and black pepper, then sauteed with half an onion. I'd never cooked scallops before, but they ended up pretty well. I think I could do better, maybe something with garlic next time.

Half pound = 8 oz =~ 5 blocks protein

My avocado was finally ripe today after buying last Sunday, so it was time for guac! I started with my boss's recipe as best I could remember. I muddled two cloves of diced garlic, a good bit of chopped cilantro (i love cilantro), some non-jalapeno pepper (that farmer lied, it wasn't spicy at all) and pepper. Then I mixed that in with 1 mashed avocado and half a diced heirloom tomato.

At this point the guacamole was OK. I only started to like guacamole in the last twelve months, and I don't have it very often, so I'm no connoisseur, not at all. Fortunately my roommate was LA bred, she immediately recommended lime juice and much more salt. Big difference. In the end I think it was pretty decent guac. Next time, maybe onion and a real pepper.

Most of an avocado = at least 5 blocks, but probably pretty close, at 1 tbsp per block.

Finally, I decided to attempt part of a zone book recipe. I picked up some gala apples from the green market, so I cut very thin slices and 'fried', or slowly cooked them in plenty of olive oil with nutmeg and cinnamon. I ended up making four or five batches, playing with the method. Some of them I tossed with oil and cinnamon, some of them I just threw in an oiled pan and sprinkled with cinnamon. A longer cooking time at lower heat works well, it breaks the apples down and makes them soft, which takes longer than I had anticipated.

Completely paleo, but probably a bit high in fat and carbs. Hopefully close to 5 blocks in the end. Those apples would kill on vanilla ice cream by the way. Take them straight off the pan and throw them on a ball of ice cream and eat immediately. Hot + cold, cinammon apples + ice cream. Excellent.

Oh, and you really can't taste the olive oil at all. There's probably a better oil to cook them in though, but I didn't have anything else on hand. Coconut oil maybe.

No comments: