Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pureed Frozen Bananas with Almond Extract, Real Bacon!

I aimed for zone this morning, but I have to do the math now to find out how close I was.

2 slices REAL bacon @ 4g protein, 5g fat each = 1 block protein, ~3 blocks fat
2 slices canadian bacon @ 11g protein, 1.5g fat each = 3 blocks protein, ~1 block fat
1 egg = 1 block protein

Now, in the zone, each block of protein is assumed to have 1.5g (or 1 block) of fat. You don't count this fat against your fat blocks though.

So 4 blocks of protein should be 28g protein and 6g fat. My meat this morning totals 30g protein and 13 g fat. So that's about 4 square blocks of protein and 4 extra blocks fat. Not too bad, going forward I can just add some fish oil to that and be at a good fat level.

For today though, I added 9 almonds (unnecessary) and fish oil, plenty of extra fat.

~2 cups broccoli = 1 block carb
1 peach = 1 block carb
3 small frozen bananas, 'pureed' and mixed with a dash of almond extract = technically, 9 blocks carbs. Bananas are listed as 1 block = 1/3 of a 3" banana, and on the less favorable source of carbs list. These bananas were small, but that's likely still excessive for carbs.

I heard from a friend at the gym that frozen, pureed bananas taste like ice cream, so I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately, my blender wasn't able to handle these bananas the way it needs to to get that texture. They ended up like lumpy chopped bananas, not smooth at all. I realized that the very powerful, very expensive food processor my friend has probably makes a big difference here.

Although frozen mangled bananas are good enough to eat straight, I tasted them with a few different flavors. I overdid the vanilla and they ended up tasting bitter. Nutmeg and cinnamon were ok, but almond extract kicked ass.

For the rest of this bunch I'll try the recipe recommended by the paleo book: blend the bananas and vanilla (or almond extract) first, then freeze a bit. Carb heavy, but still pretty good while being technically paleo.

No comments: