Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Salad, Salsa, Chicken

The usual salad, but with just salsa as a dressing, no fake russian dressing or flax oil/lemon juice.

4 blocks carbs = 4 cups spinach/1.25 cups green pepper/1 cucumber/~.5 cups salsa

I did squirt some flax oil on the salad to see what that was like, but couldn't detect it at all later. This salsa salad was definitely a nice change of pace from the usual flax oil/lemon juice dressing. One thing I'll definitely be jumping on post-paleo is vinegars. I'll probably start making my own salad dressing with a simple oil/vinegar pair.

I rounded out the carbs with ~1 cup strawberries.

5 oz chicken = 5 blocks protein. Cooked last night as usual; salt, pepper, olive oil and some garlic thrown in. I could definitely try to punch up this recipe a bit, but its fine for now. When you're working your way through what seems like half a cubic foot of greens (and isn't far off), each little morsel of protein is like candy.

I had to make up some fat because the salsa is carbs only, so I threw on a good 3-4 dozen pine nuts and a 2-3 blocks of almonds.

Then I ate a dozen or two pistachios because they were there and I couldn't help it, which easily puts me over any fat requirement.

Overall, the salsa is a great change of pace from the boring dressing before. Still a ton of greens to eat though. The jerky went over well at the office; I'll probably have to make this again soon. Meanwhile, some browsing on Mark's Daily Apple now has me curious about home brewing (beer). This do-it-yourself approach to food is addicting once you get started.

No comments: