Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pork Chop and Watermelon, Canadian Bacon and Broccoli

Dinner last night was a solid 5 blocks:

slightly more than 5 ounces pork chop = 5 blocks protein
half an onion sauteed in 2 teaspoons olive oil = 1 block carb, 6 blocks fat
2 cups brocolli = 1 block carb
1.5 cups watermelon = 3 blocks carb

The zone book is fond of counting all your fat in the olive oil you cook with. However, when cleaning a pan used to cook with olive oil, its obvious that you're not actually consuming all of that fat. I'd say at best, it looks like half to three-quarters makes it to my mouth. With that in mind, I don't count 2 teaspoons of olive oil as 6 blocks of fat, but close to three. So I finished with 9 almonds for another three blocks, which should definitely put me over my 5 blocks of fat for the meal.

Breakfast today:

2 slices canadian bacon = 3 blocks protein - at 11g protein and 1.5g fat per slice, candadian bacon is very lean. The typical zone assumption is that 7g protein contains about 1.5g fat, then you add additional 1.5g fat blocks on top of that. So 2 slices candadian bacon = 22g protein or almost exactly 3 blocks, and 3 grams fat.

1 slice turkey bacon = 1 block protein
1 egg = 1 block protein
a lean 2 cups watermelon = 4 blocks carb
2 cups broccoli = 1 block carb

1 teaspoon fish oil = 4g fat or about 2.6 blocks fat. I called this
9 almonds = 3 blocks fat

So that should be about 5.6 blocks fat, but I still have a slight deficit from the canadian bacon. Probably should have had a few more almonds, oh well.

I'm thinking of investing some time and effort into home-making some beef jerky, maybe this weekend.

No comments: